There’s just something about a yummy soup on a cold rainy day that just does it for me. I’m always looking for new soup recipes – ones that are choc full of healthy veggies and that are filling. Egg Drop soup has the added benefit of having a ton of protein and is lowfat. It’s also (almost) fully customizable. You can add in whatever you’d like – more or less vegetables; and if you prefer to add some faux meat, you may.
I made it for dinner for my husband and me a few nights ago. We licked the bowl clean – no leftovers. Yumness.
Egg Drop Soup
Makes 4 servings.
- 4 c plus 2 Tbsp no chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- 1/2 t fresh ginger, grated
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 3 oz extra firm tofu, cubed
- 1/3 c carrots, chopped
- 1/4 c corn
- 4 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1/2 c snow peas
- Bring the 4 cups broth, ginger and soy sauce to a full boil. Make a slurry of the remaining 2 Tbsp broth and cornstarch by mixing in a small bowl until combined. Slowly pour into the broth and stir until thickens, slightly – 2 or 3 mins.
- Add carrots, corn and tofu to the soup. Boil 5 minutes.
- While the broth is at a full boil and while stirring in one direction, slowly pour in the egg whites. The egg will spread and feather.
- Add snow peas, green onion, salt and pepper.
Nutrition: 103 cal, 2.5g fat, 8.5g carb, 1.6g fiber, 2.9g sugars, 11.7g protein