I love sprinkling granola over the top of my yogurt in the morning or as an afternoon snack. I usually eat plain yogurt with fruit, so the added sweetness of the granola helps take the ‘bite’ out of my unsweetened yogurt. The problem I was having is this… Most granolas purchased in the store are filled with more oil and sugars that I prefer, not to mention they are usually fairly pricy! So, I tackled it myself.
I gravitate to granola on the fruitier side and one of my favorites is Trader Joe’s Lowfat Mixed Berry Granola, which I still buy it in a pinch. Here is my rendition of Mixed Berry Granola.
Mixed Berry Granola. (low fat, low sugar)
Approx 20 servings. (2Tbsp per serving)
- 3 cups Oats
- 1/4 cup Slivered Almonds
- 1/4 c Applesauce, unsweetened
- 1 Tbsp Coconut Oil, warmed til it’s a liquid
- 2 Tbsp Honey (Vegans can use agave syrup or brown rice syrup)
- 2 Tbsp Strawberry Jam (no sugar added, preferred)
- 1 tea flaxseed meal (optional)
- 1 tea Vanilla
- Dash of Salt
- 1 cup Freeze Dried Mixed Berries or Strawberries, lightly crumbled
- Preheat oven to 325 F
- Mix all ingredients together except Freeze Dried Fruit until well combined and oats are moist.
- Spread the mixture in a 9×13 pan or on a cookie sheet.
- Bake 30-45 mins, until browned and crunchy. If it’s still not brown and crisp at the end of 45 mins, mix and continue baking, checking every 5 mins.
- Cool completely. Add Freeze Dried Fruit, mix well.
Nutrition (Approx 2 Tbsp) (approx): 80 cal, 2.5g fat, 13g carb, 2g fiber, 2g protein