I was introduced to Oat Bran by my friend and fellow food blogger, Faith of I Pray to Gouda. Without making myself like a mad woman, I’ll say it simply – I’m addicted. This stuff is so good and you can do all kinds of things with it making it taste all kinds of goodness. Ahhh… So so yummy. You really do need to try it. (See? Now I’m a oat bran ‘pusher’!) Plus, it’s so easy, you have no excuses.
I can whip up a quick oat bran breakfast for myself in about 3 mins, so it’s a great on the go meal. It also works well to bring to work with me because I can throw the oat bran, sweetener and cinnamon in a tupperwear container and just add the water and microwave it there. Easy, peasy!
And in honor of Valentine’s Day, here are a pair of MY favorite ways to make oat bran. (FYI – I used two mini bowls and half the recipe for each for presentation purposes, but you’ll want to use bigger bowls)
Step 1: Assemble Ingredients.
- 1/4 cup Oat Bran (I use Toasted Oat Bran from Trader Joe’s)
- 3/4 cup Water
- Dash of salt
- Sweetener of your choosing, to taste (Agave Nectar, Sugar, Stevia, Splenda, etc)
Strawberries n Cream:
- Freeze dried , unsweetened strawberries (Trader Joe’s them and I’m ashamed to admit I have found yet another addiction. These little guys are awesome morsels of crunchy “yum”. They also have freeze dried mango, blueberries and banana chips – all unsweetened. You MUST try them!)
- 1/8 c (2 Tbsp) Nonfat, plain greek yogurt (I use 0% Fage that I buy in bulk at Costco)
- Cinnamon (I like a lot. I usually use 1 t. or more)
- 1/2 of a ripe banana, sliced and warmed in the microwaved for about 30 seconds to make it warm, gooshy and caramelized
Step 2: Cook Oat Bran.
In a microwave safe bowl with some extra room for boiling up (so it doesn’t run over), stir together the oat bran, water, salt and sweetener. Microwave for 1 minute. Take out and stir.
For Strawberries n Cream: Add your strawberries at this time and stir.
Microwave for an additional 30 seconds to 1 minute until it just begins to boil. Watching CAREFULLY (aka – do not take your eyes off the bowl. The moment you do, it WILL boil over and create a mess. You don’t want that to happen. And don’t say I didn’t warn you… ha!). Stir again and continue microwaving for 15 seconds at a time until your preferred consistency is reached.
Step 3: Add the Fixin’s.
For Strawberries n Cream: Add greek yogurt and mix together well. Top with a few more strawberries if you feel fancy.
For Banana Cinnamon: Add cinnamon and mix together well. Top with warmed bananas.
Step 4: Eat.