This amazing little muffin is surprisingly moist and light in texture for being nonfat and whole wheat! Even my husband (who doesn’t usually go for muffins all that often) loves these. I found a random recipe online and did a bunch of “doctoring” until I made it my own lightweight version of the muffin. It’s lovely. I highly recommend you go try it asap. And go check out the nutrition stats at the bottom. Shocked? Yep. I was too. Those little numbers (pun intended) make me very happy.
Nonfat Whole Wheat Carrot Craisin Muffins
Prep time: 15 mins
Bake time: 18-20 mins
Makes 12 muffins
- 1 1/4 c white whole wheat flour (or whole wheat)
- 1 t baking powder
- 1/2 t baking soda
- 1/2 t salt
- 1 t cinnamon
- 1/4 t ginger
- 1/2 c brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 c unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 c light orange juice (Trop50)
- 1/4 c egg substitute (Egg Beaters)
- 1 1/2 c grated carrots
- 1/2 c dry, sweetened cranberries (Craisins)
- Pre-heat oven to 375 F. Spray a 12 cup muffin tin lightly with nonstick cooking spray.
- Sift (or mix with a whisk) the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and ginger together in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine the brown sugar, applesauce, orange juice, and egg beaters together.
- Add your dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until almost combined. Fold in the carrots and cranberries. (do not over beat!)
- Divide the batter evenly in 12 muffin cups. Reduce the oven temperature to 360 and bake for 18-20 mins until a toothpick inserted into the center of the muffin comes out clean.
- Let cool 5 mins in the pan, then carefully transfer the muffins to a wire rack to continue cooling. (Letting them cool out of the pan allows the edges to not become soggy.)
Nutrition: 105 calories, 0g fat, 25g carbs, 2g protein, 2g fiber