More dishes from my friend and my tea party… Thank you Epicurious (as usual) for providing more yummy recipes!
I set out to make just one vegetarian sandwich, and yet I ended up making three different varieties. That’s what happens when you give an indecisive, food loving girl too many good choices! I was very pleased with all three. They were each unique in their own way, still holding true to the light tea sandwich theme. They all were devoured by all in attendance. I would make them again, for sure!
(pic from Bon Appetite)
Radish-Chive with Sesame and Ginger
From Bon Appetite April 2008 | Makes 16 servings (I cut the recipe in half to serve 6 people)
- 4 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 3 tablespoons minced chives, divided
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- 3/4 teaspoon grated peeled fresh ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon Asian sesame oil
- 16 1/4-inch-thick baguette slices
- 10 radishes, thinly sliced (VERY thin!)
Mix butter, 2 tablespoons chives, sesame seeds, ginger, and oil in small bowl; season with salt and pepper. Spread butter mixture over each bread slice. Top with radishes, overlapping slightly. Sprinkle with remaining chives and fleur de sel, if desired.
Minted Radish with Lemon Mayo
From Gourmet May 1994 | Makes 24 sandwiches (I cut the recipe by 1/4 to serve 6 people)
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons coarse-grained mustard
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice, or to taste
- 24 very thin slicess homemade-type white bread
- 1 cup mint leaves (from about 1 large bunch)
- 16 radishes, trimmed and sliced as thin as possible (VERY thin!)
In a small bowl stir together mayonnaisse, sour cream, zest, mustard, lemon juice, and salt and pepper to taste.
Spread bread generously with lemon mayonnaise. Top half of slices with a layer of mint and top mint with overlapping rows of radish. Top radish with remaining bread and press together gently. Trim crusts and cut sandwiches in half diagonally. Sandwiches may be made 2 hours ahead, wrapped in plastic wrap, and chilled.
Cucumber Tea Sandwiches
- Cream Cheese, room temperature
- English Cucumbers, thinly sliced
- Thin slices homemade-type white bread or baguette
- Optional herbs (dill, chives, etc)
- Sea Salt
Spread a thick layer of cream cheese on the bread. Arrange the optional herbs and cucumber slices over the cream cheese. Lightly salt. Cut diagonally.